View All Case Studies
The nonprofit had unmet goals for its board: New members needed orientation, better integration and motivation, while the entire board needed to accept an enhanced fundraising role. The CEO sought a bolder vision for the whole agency, one that would energize and align the board in working toward a stronger financial future. To that end, the organization required a more clearly defined set of board responsibilities and a “reimagining” of its role in fundraising, especially in the face of cyclical budgetary uncertainties.
Plan A Advisors led the executive staff and board through the joint development of a more robust agency vision, one with a healthier balance sheet to ensure continuity for its stellar programs. The board recognized its critical role in safeguarding the agency’s long-term financial sustainability and therefore made fundraising a priority for the current board and in recruiting new members.
• Implemented a pre-retreat board survey on such issues as governance, structure and mission.
• Summarized early findings in a “SWOT” analysis (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats), for board and management to address in the coming years.
• Developed a vision statement – an aspirational view of what the group hopes to achieve in the near future.
• Conducted “breakout” sessions on fundraising goals, assessment of board performance, and recruitment of additional members.*
• Prioritized retreat outcomes into three overarching areas of board engagement: agency branding/identity; campaign for sustainability; and ongoing board development.
*The board later adopted a customized “report card” for annual member assessment designed in the breakout session with Plan A’s guidance.